Thursday, August 10, 2017

Ooh child, things are going to get easier (The Five Stairsteps)



I was a huge fan of Look and Learn back in the day, as I've mentioned before a few times.

SWMBO and I went into Cowboy Junkies - a great second hand place in Whangarei on Saturday and found a few things we wanted - a lovely old firescreen and a pile of Look and Learns from the sixties and seventies for 50 cents each.

SCORE. I bought the 32 copies they had from 1967 to 1969 and immediately felt better about the fact mum threw away my collection around 1970.


I've been delving into them and have been really impressed with the writing. Not only that, there is something for boys AND girls - role models, potential careers, heros to appeal to both sexes.

Admittedly, the Ranger section predominately features males [apart from the Trigan Empire, there is Dan Dakota (the Western), Wildcat Wayne and schoolboy Rob Riley with comic strips] but there are interesting articles for both girls and boys, like how girls have been educated through the ages.

Impressive!! Here's to looking and learning!

Love and peace and look and learn - young Wozza

No comments: